Hello!

We are not food critics. Nor are we chefs, journalists, servers or in any way qualified to judge. We do not work in the food and beverage industry. But we do have one amazing recommendation and that is that we know how to have a good time. We are connoisseurs of fun.
Our goal is to save you the arduous slogging through one crappy bar after another. We will do this for you and tell you exactly what to expect from each meal, drink, dessert and experience we have. From our heart to yours! Bon Nuit.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

I (heart) New York

New York is amazing, a wonder really. Anything that you could want at any time of day, night, morning or afternoon is there, available and waiting for you to find it and love it and give it a home. This is why I love New York.

The city also gives me sidewalk rage. Like road rage in L.A. but without the bumper system and shielding of a vehicle. This is why I don't like New York.

But, my god, if you want to have a good night out you go out in New York. So here I have a couple of mini reviews from last weekend.

The Red Lion - Bleecker at Thompson
Phenomenal! Live music, great vibe, reasonable drinks, dancing in a kind of groupie standing around the tiny stage way. Also security there is totally awesome! Sang along with the band and danced with us.

The Champagne Bar - Plaza Hotel
Let me just start by saying: three drinks $87. Feel free to skip ahead. ... Still here? Okay! This place is iconic in a city of icons. The Plaza Hotel smells like prestige. The closer you get to it, the more impressive you feel, you stand straighter, wish you had on better shoes (I'm not just talking to my ladies here). This place is money, in the literal sense. We walked up a marble staircase to get to the lower level of this bar. Inside was all rose colored lighting and the well-to-do. We happened to go there while a wedding party was finishing their night. This is probably quite common as the Plaza is the wedding address. Service was impeccable except for when the bartender lost my friends card and said we did not give it to him, we did he had dropped it behind the counter. Otherwise, this place was perfect in that sophisticated, monied kind of way.

Southern Hospitality - Second Ave at 77th St.
In direct contrast to the Plaza Hotel is Southern Hospitality. This bar was near our hotel and apparently owned by Justin Timberlake, which sadly is why we went there. The inside is generic sports bar with a slightly southern tinge to it, evident in the wooden tables and knick knacks hanging from the ceiling.

We had to repeat our drink order five times for the bartender. I don't know if he wasn't paying attention or what but you all know how I feel about waiting for my drinks. I don't. I also had to have a guy removed by the bouncer for telling me and my friend that he would "f%$k the s*@t out of us." Thanks, I'll pass. Believe me, I was in no way encouraging that sort of offer. We then witnessed another gentleman get arrested by seven police officers...inside the bar, not even out in the streets! Well, that's just rude.

Nick's Pizza - Broadway at 76th St.
After a night of shenanigans this was the perfect way to end. Real, foldable, New York style slices. The guys behind the counter were from New York, I mean from there, not like Barbara Streisand is from there but like Bobby DeNiro is from there. They were super nice in that brusque, funny New York kind of way, even though we were obviously tourists and had no idea what we were doing. Love those guys! Three slices and waters for $9.

No comments:

Post a Comment